Bookmarked: The Director's Cut: A Final Girl's Guide to Killing the Script and Reclaiming the Lead by Finn O'Gorman











Hey y’all lets see what’s up today! Back in May I, along with other members of my horror club, were invited to read an Advance Reader Copy or ARC of our fellow club member Finn’s new self help novel. If you’ve been following my content for awhile, you probably noticed that self help content is not necessarily my niche. However, considering that this was horror themed and I really wanted to support my friend here I was excited to check it out!

Believe it or not, I do have a playlist for this. It’s the playlist I use when I go to the gym, but I feel like it’s very fitting for this type of book, as we’re turning ourselves into final girls in our own horror movie (theoretically that is!)

🔪🪓🔦Final Girl Energy🔦🪓🔪

Content Warnings: Horror Movie References, Mental Health Advice, Mental Health Discussion


The Summary

Are you tired of feeling like an extra in your own movie? Do you feel like a scary masked killer is lurking just over your shoulder, in a darkened corner, or right outside? Then it might be time to pick up a weapon and start fighting back your day to day monsters to reclaim your role as the main character, and this guide will show you how.

The Review

I don’t normally read self help books, so this was very much out of my typical comfort zone as far as reading material goes. However, I really took something away from this little Final Girl field guide that O’Gorman created.

I decided to put the tactics discussed in the book to the test to see if they held up in a real world scenerio, and I was thoroughly surprised. The main thing that I picked up from the book was becoming more sure in myself. That’s something that I have personally struggled with for most of my life, I’ve always been hestiant to make decisions, lurking in the shadows, and after reading this book I just decided to trust my gut and go for it. While there may have been a couple times that things didn’t work out as planned, I found that even those little mistakes allowed a chance for improvement and really gave my confidence a boost.

Another thing that the book helped me with is procrastinating tasks that feel overwhelming. I get overwhelmed very easily, and somehow or another it never really struck me to think of hard tasks as a horror movie villain to defeat. I’ve been more productive than ever before, and coming up with creative strategies to defeat the task the same way that I discuss ways the monsters are defeated in horror films actually helped?

This book helped me so much in ways that I didn’t expect, especially when it came down to tackling tasks, speaking up for myself in situations that are overwhelming and sometimes even downright scary, and learning to really advocate for myself. It seems so easy to watch our favorite final girls pick up an axe and stand toe to toe with these larger than life monsters, yet when we try to do the same thing for ourselves it can be really intimidating, and I think this guide is the perfect way to teach yourself how to do that.

It was also nice to just read through Finn’s personal experiences and connections with the genre. The horror community is often one knit together through shared struggles and interests so I feel like I got to know not only myself a little bit better through self reflection but I also got to know a friend a little bit better along the way. As we learn in horror films, its always best to take on the monsters as a team rather than on your own, and the little corner of the horror community we have found ourselves in definitely steps up to the plate in that regard!

Closing

If you struggle with taking steps to get where you need to be, and you like spooky stuff, I highly recommend this book I think it can do you a lot of good. Finn also dives into the psychology behind the fans of horror films and makes some totally killer horror movie references along the way. I was so honored they agreed to let me make this review just in time for the release of the book, and I hope you guys get a little something out of it if you check it out. Want to sink your teeth into a copy of The Director’s Cut? Follow the link here and check it out! I was really surprised to receive a message last week informing me I would be receiving a physical copy of The Director’s Cut, I can’t wait to give it another read I know I definitely want to continue putting Finn’s advice to good use. If you want to see more from me feel free to click the link below where you can find my other socials. Y’all take care, and thanks for stopping by!

🍒 Check Out What Else I’ve Been Up To 🍒



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Girl, Listen: Financial Literacy Tips

Bookmarked: Thirteen Storeys by Jonathan Sims

Chatterbox: Are Trends Killing Originality? (02/27/2026 - 03/05/2026)