Whiskful Thinking: Italian Subs


 Hey y'all let's see what's up today! I am back with another recipe, I love making these Italian sub sandwiches, now this recipe in particular has both a vegetarian option and a meat option, I will be including ingredients for both. The toppings in this ingredient list are just how I like to top my sandwiches but go for whatever feels right to you.

   I also tried to make these pretty accessible for anyone whether you're just learning to cook or you have a disability that limits your ability to cook. That being said these can be made in a toaster oven and you can do most of the prep work sitting at the counter or at a table. I'm unsure of whether or not this qualifies as Kosher or Halal, so to my Jewish and Muslim folks I do apologize. However, this recipe can easily be made vegan by swapping out some ingredients, I've tried a vegan version of this sandwich and aside from the plant based cheese I thought it was very good, but I have never liked plant based cheeses personally because of the taste.


Ingredients:

πŸ₯ͺ A Small Baguette

πŸ₯ͺ Mozzarella

πŸ₯ͺ Some Type of Lettuce or Spinach (I use Romaine)

πŸ₯ͺ Sweet Peppers

πŸ₯ͺ Olive Oil

πŸ₯ͺ Italian Seasoning

πŸ₯ͺ Cucumber

πŸ₯ͺ Tomato

πŸ₯ͺ Mild Banana Peppers

πŸ₯ͺ Pickles

πŸ₯ͺ Sliced Black Olives

πŸ₯ͺ Light Mayonnaise

πŸ₯ͺ Pepperoni, Turkey, or Prosciutto (I don't eat pork so I always go with turkey pepperoni and some sliced mesquite turkey)


The Details

πŸ₯ͺ Open Your Baguette: The baguettes that I buy are specifically made for sub sandwiches, so they come pre-sliced. If yours have not come pre-sliced, go ahead and open the bun. 

πŸ₯ͺ Douse with Olive Oil and Italian Seasonings: Once the baguette is opened up I mix Italian Seasoning with the Olive Oil and then give the bread a generous layer of that mixture, however I don't toast it just yet. I do suggest making sure that you get all the way to the edges to avoid burning the bread.

πŸ₯ͺ Add Your Cheese: While making a meat option for this, now is the time in which I would add some pepperoni, turkey, and prosciutto. I then slice my mozzarella cheese and add that to our sandwich. You can use the pre-sliced or even shredded mozzarella for this sandwich if you'd like, I prefer the Emporium Selection soft mozzarella which does require some slicing but my other recommendation is the low moisture part skim shredded mozzarella by great value.

πŸ₯ͺ Into the Oven: After assembling the part of the sandwich that we're going to be toasting I line my toaster oven tray with some aluminum foil and put the sandwich into the toaster oven. I use the medium toast setting on my oven and let the timer run out before switching the setting to broil and allowing the cheese at the very top to melt and get a little crispy. The timing on this may be different for each oven and toaster oven, so I would say just watch your sandwich and when the cheese has gotten a little golden brown on top you'll want to cut off the heat.

πŸ₯ͺ Top Your Sandwich: All that's left to do is top your sandwich, I listed my recommended toppings in the ingredients list there but obviously make sure your sandwich is going to suit your personal taste.

 This recipe makes one 6 inch sub sandwich, however you can buy larger baguettes to make larger sandwiches if desired.


Closing

That's all that I have for you guys for right now! I hope everyone that is celebrating has a wonderful 4th of July weekend, I personally will not be celebrating this year I just have a lot of things to work on during my time off this month and celebrating isn't one of those things (my family is also not the best on the grill, they tend to undercook burgers a bit more than I'm comfortable with). If you want to see more from me feel free to click the link below where you can find my other socials. Y'all take care, and thanks for stopping by! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Girl, Listen: Financial Literacy Tips

Bookmarked: Thirteen Storeys by Jonathan Sims

Chatterbox: Are Trends Killing Originality? (02/27/2026 - 03/05/2026)