Whiskful Thinking: Buttermilk Biscuits

  

Hey y'all let's see what's up today! I'm back with another recipe, this one came straight from my great granny's cook book. These biscuits are a simple and cost efficient recipe that you can make for breakfast in the morning, or to have as a side with your dinner. This recipe is not exact so I've measured to the best of my ability, if you have ever met a southern woman you know they measure everything with thoughts and prayers so getting this recipe exactly right felt like an act of Congress.


Ingredients 

๐ŸŒˆSelf Rising Flour

๐ŸŒˆ Shortening, Butter, or Olive Oil

๐ŸŒˆ Buttermilk

You will also need a large mixing bowl and a baking sheet as well as a fork or whisk. I prefer using a fork, as that's how I was taught. You do not want to put this in a stand mixer, as it will over-knead the dough and make the biscuits too dense.


The Details

๐ŸŒˆ Preheat the oven to 350 before mixing the ingredients to ensure the oven is to temperature once you're done.

๐ŸŒˆ Oil the pan with an oil of your choice, I usually just use whichever binder that I'm also putting in the biscuits.

๐ŸŒˆ Add 3 cups of self rising flour to the bowl. You can always add more depending on how many biscuits you need, but I start with 3 first just to make sure I don't make too many.

๐ŸŒˆ Add 2 table spoons of your binding agent, Crisco works best, however vegetable/olive oil and butter will also work just be sure to soften your butter first if the butter is not kept at room temperature.

๐ŸŒˆ Add 1 cup of buttermilk and begin to mix in your ingredients.

๐ŸŒˆ Once the ingredients are mixed in, I assess the dough to see if it's too wet or too dry and add more flour or buttermilk as needed until I am able to knead the dough with my hands with minimal transfer.

๐ŸŒˆ When the dough is kneaded, I put some flour on my hands to begin shaping the biscuits. This keeps the dough from transferring to your hands more than normal.

๐ŸŒˆ Once the biscuits are shaped and on the pan, the oven should be ready.

๐ŸŒˆ Bake the biscuits until you're able to poke them with a toothpick and the toothpick comes out clean, in my experience this is usually between 10-15 minutes.

๐ŸŒˆ Let the biscuits cool and enjoy!

Closing

   This recipe usually makes about 12-14 large biscuits, however it all depends on the size of the biscuits that you prefer to make. They can be reheated, but I would not keep them for more than a couple of days just for safety purposes. That's all that I have for you guys today If you want to see more from me feel free to click the link below where you can find my other socials. Y'all take care, and thanks for stopping by! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Girl, Listen: Financial Literacy Tips

Bookmarked: Thirteen Storeys by Jonathan Sims

Chatterbox: Are Trends Killing Originality? (02/27/2026 - 03/05/2026)