Bookmarked: The Bog Wife by Kay Chronister
Hey y'all let's see what's up today! This book came highly recommended to me because I live in Appalachia, where this story is set. I don't, however, live in the West Virginia area so I was even more excited to read this in hopes of learning something new. I will say, I devoured about half of this book in one day, and had to really pace myself for the rest of it so that I didn't finish it too quickly because once I got into it I really got into it.
As with any book that I read, here's a playlist for you guys to enjoy
Content Warnings: Familial Expectations, Generational Trauma, Cancer, Death, Disability Due to Accident, Talk of Murder, Poisoning, Ritual, Death, Gore, Descriptions of Birth, Nudity, Familial Pressure, Broken Traditions, Rot, Clutter, Wild Animals, Suicide Attempts, Depression, Descriptions of Genatalia, Refusal to Take Responsibility, Refusal to Take Accountability, Family Secrets, Lying, Questioning Beliefs, Occult Practices, Strong Language, Stillbirth, Miscarriage, Grief
The Summary
The Haddsleys had always lived in the bog. Their ways were noble and ancient, and their patriarch would marry a bog-wife. That's how it had been for generations. However, after the death of their father things change for the five Haddsley siblings. Secrets are unearthed, self discoveries are made, and family bonds are tested as they try to figure out how to save themselves and their land.
The Review
First and foremost, I absolutely adored this book for a number of reasons. The main reason that I loved it is that it highlighted some very important issues with Appalachian traditionalism and with how those expectations can hang over your head like a guillotine. I come from a family that has a matriarch and a patriarch, and with that comes a strong family bond which is good but it also comes with a certain amount of pressure. I really identified with Wenna for this reason, especially as someone who branched out from the way of life that my family considered "acceptable" and then had to look at them caught in this rat race of completely self inflicted expectations.
I also appreciated that it highlighted Appalachian poverty and how many people here do without access to modern amenities. Growing up and living in this area I know people who live like the Haddsleys, I have heard of people who live so far up in the mountains they've never been found for generations upon generations.
As beautiful as this area is, I feel like its also a very sad place. People who are really connected to the land here are often the most grief stricken I've found and I loved seeing that actually serve a plot purpose in this novel.
I think Chronister did a fantastic job representing traditional Appalachian culture through this novel. I also think she did a great job in showcasing the bond between siblings. Much like Wenna I'm a middle child that has been put into these situations of having to both be supportive of my family and also having to question them and try to do what's best for myself too. There's a lot of guilt that comes with that when you see people you love fall into vicious cycles that are completely preventable and I love how that was showcased.
Additionally, I really liked how visiting places outside of the region was described. Though I love my friends and followers from outside of the Appalachian reason there truly is some intimidation that comes with it. Though no one in my social circles now gives me any crap for it, in the past I've been made fun of, insulted, and all sorts of other things just for talking like a "hillbilly" or for being "backwards" so I've felt the anxiety these characters felt around people who aren't from this area. I've felt the need to hide certain aspects of myself the same way that they do, and that is a large part of why I feel like this book was so important.
Closing
I could honestly go on and on and ON about how much I loved The Bog Wife. I actually cried when I finished it, and then promptly passed it over to my mother because I thought she would really enjoy it. If you want to get your own copy of The Bog Wife you can purchase it here. I am going to be reading Molka by Monika Kim next so stay tuned for that. If you want to see more from me feel free to click the link below where you can find my other socials. Y'all take care, and thanks for stopping by!
Comments
Post a Comment