Horror Hub: Support Your Local Cemetery Scavenger Hunt




Hey y'all let's see what's up today! This weekend I had the pleasure of taking part in a "Support Your Local Cemetery" Scavenger Hunt. This scavenger hunt was hosted by my horror fanclub the Midnight Monsters Club, and it took place in cemeteries nation wide on Saturday. There were a few groups that had teamed up, but unfortunately none of my fellow monsters lived close enough to me for the event, so I brought my dad along just because I wasn't really comfortable going to cemeteries by myself in some of the areas where historic cemeteries were. I was really glad that we had the chance to migrate to different cemeteries, as the historic burial grounds in my area were rather small.

We had 60 tasks in total to complete, and 24 hours to complete the tasks. There was a mix of photography, writing, research, and even a bit of music being shared as we crawled amongst the crypts for the day. Because I took so many photos while I was out hunting I'm just going to share some of my favorites from our hunt.

My Great Grandparents

Starting off strong we got to visit my great grandparents. They are the reason that I got into horror to begin with my introducing me to the classic Universal Monsters, the Munsters, Dark Shadows, and the Addams Family. They were historians, and proud members of a local historical reenactment group that put on the performance "The Wataugans" (later renamed to "Liberty!"). My great grandfather was Cherokee, and my great grandmother was a first generation American, her father immigrated from Cork, Ireland back in the early 1900s. A lot of what I know came from them and my grandfather on that side of the family so I was really glad that I got to share them with my club. 


My Dad, Being My Dad

Exploring the cemetery with my dad was also really fun, he and I always get into some good trouble when we're doing things like this, and this scavenger hunt was no exception. We told a lot of jokes, he recounted about the time that he fell into an open grave one night and was worried he wasn't going to get out. He also posed for this glamor shot for our "Find the Most Metal Looking Grave" task.


Angel of the Graveyard

One of the tasks that we had was to find an angel statue, and while I was browsing for another task, my dad snatched my phone and took this beautiful photo of this angel statue. I think it was probably my favorite photo of the day (thanks dad!)!


An 18th Century Baddie

While we were browsing a Revolutionary War Veteran's Cemetery we found this grave belonging to a Ms. Mary, she had a middle finger on her headstone. While some people may think this is in poor taste, I absolutely adore this 18th century baddie who was unapologetically, apparently, fed up with everybody.


Paranormal Picnic

The best part of Saturday was obviously lunch time, where we ate in the cemetery. We got burgers from a local restaurant called Pal's, which has been a staple in my area since it opened in 1956. We ate in the historic Carter Family Cemetery, right near their mansion which is still in fantastic shape for it's age. It was shady, it was cool, and I actually discovered the cemetery picnics were really popular in the Victorian era, and rose to popularity again in the 1980s and 1990s goth scene, though it has since faded from popularity. This is one trend that I actually think that we should bring back because it was really peaceful.


Eternal Time Out

This is probably the funniest thing that we saw on our hunt. This grave is, for some reason, located outside the cemetery gate and we have no idea why they haven't moved the gate to let this guy back in. It just begs the question, what did he do to get put in eternal time out?


The Grim Tree-per

While visiting the historic Tipton cemetery, I found this absolutely massive oak tree. For scale, I am about 6 foot tall with a 6 foot wing span, it's pretty safe to say I was out matched! 

Undead and Unsupervised

Closing us out, one of our prompts was to pose like zombies, these are probably the most enthusiastic zombies you'll ever see in your life but we had such a good time it was hard not to be cheesing. Rest assured though, we were absolutely beat and we slept like the dead when we got home!


Closing

This was so fun, and I can't wait for the book that's going to come out with all of our photos from everyone in club that attended the event. There aren't many members from my area, so I was really excited to go out, represent where I'm from, show off our unique style, and share some local history. It was also really cool getting to see how tombs differed from state to state and what kind of things were placed on graves! If you ever get the chance to do a scavenger hunt in a cemetery, do yourself a favor and go it is so so SO fun! If you want to see more from me feel free to click the link below where you can find my other socials. Y'all take care, and thanks for stopping by! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Girl, Listen: Financial Literacy Tips

Bookmarked: Thirteen Storeys by Jonathan Sims

Chatterbox: Are Trends Killing Originality? (02/27/2026 - 03/05/2026)