Bookmarked: The Edge of Sleep by Jake Emanuel, Willie Block, and Jason Gurley
Hey y'all let's see what's up today! As part of my goal to read a lot of books this month, the next most voted on novel was the Edge of Sleep. I had heard of the show that is based on this novel, so when I found this bad boy on a clearance rack I had to pick it up (only $6 for a hard back? I was in shock). I've not watched the series yet, though that is going to be my next watch after I finish the book. As always please heed the content warnings before reading yourself, and feel free to check out the playlist included below if you want to listen to music while you read.
Content Warnings: Swearing, Insomnia, Self Medicating, Drug Use, Alcohol, Death, Gore, Nightmares, Mass Death, Apocalyptic Scenarios, Elephants, Whales, Ignoring Boundaries, Cancer, Self Harm, Relapse, Graphic Depictions of Surgical Procedures, Car Accidents, Religion, Assisted Suicide, PTSD, Military Personnel, Human Experiments, Mentions of Terrorism, Paranoia, Plane Crashes, Zombie-Like Creatures, Depictions of Decomposition
The Summary
What would you do if the entire world fell asleep and just... didn't wake up. This is the reality for night-shift watchman Dave Torres. He, his best friend Matteo, and a night shift nurse named Linda struggle to fight exhaustion as they attempt to figure out just what has happened to the rest of the world.
The Review
I absolutely ADORED this novel. I was hooked after the first chapter and it just kept getting better and better as I continued reading. The layout was a lot like Coffin Moon in the sense that it was really gritty and punchy with it's overall presentation, however the descriptions in the book were so incredibly well done that it was really easy to get a mental picture of what was happening.
I also really liked that we got some shifting perspectives for this novel. It didn't just follow the main characters, it actually followed some side characters and gave two of them very interesting and well fleshed out back stories. That's what I loved the most about this novel, because it felt like the Walking Dead in the sense that you get to know these characters a little bit, and you come to care for them only to have them taken away from you so there's an actual sense of loss there. I will say, I got a little attached to our side characters Millie and Eli and I am really upset that we didn't get the chance to find out what happened to them.
However, I liked that my suspicions about what was going to happen at the end of the novel were confirmed, I won't give too many spoilers on that because it does leave the ending kind of open for a sequel to the book, which I hope we get!
Getting into the story itself, I really liked the way Dave's dreams were presented and that this perceived weakness in our main character is actually what makes him such an asset to the team. As a chronic insomniac myself it was really nice to see that become a vital means of survival instead of something that's generally depicted as a negative trait.
All of the characters in the main cast were incredibly well thought out, and I find that I really liked getting to see how they developed and changed throughout the story. It was also really nice to see each person have a chance to prove themselves useful. From Dave's quick thinking to Matteo's flight skills it was just really nice to see everyone get to showcase that. I find that's not something that we get to see much in horror, because usually when a side character tries to use their skills it always ends badly for them and it didn't for most of these characters.
Closing
Overall, I really enjoyed this book, I have recommended it to like 4 different people. I'm going to start on the TV series next, it's available on Tubi for free right now. If you want to get your own copy of The Edge of Sleep, you can get it via this link here. I'm currently listening to an audio book as well however I'll be starting Carmilla next and continuing my read through of The Starving Saints which I am also so excited to share with you guys. If you want to see more from me feel free to click the link below where you can find my other socials. Y'all take care, and thanks for stopping by!
🍒 Check Out What Else I've Been Up To 🍒




.png)
Comments
Post a Comment