Notes From the Author: My Writing Essentials


Hey y'all let's see what's up today! Just like with my other posts I'm going to start this series off with my writing essentials. These are my go to's when it comes to writing everything from these blog posts to my novel. As always I am not paid to promote any software or product, these are simply things that I have had success with via some good old trial and error. If you would like to add your own writing essentials I would love to see what other authors do to get into their writing!

#1 A Drink and a Snack 🥤🍟

I'm not inherently picky about what snacks that I have for a writing session but I do try to keep it simple with something like cheese and crackers or unbuttered popcorn. Drinks for me are always either Diet Dr. Pepper, cranberry juice, plain water, coffee, tea, or a Faygo just depending on what I have. I try not to eat things that are messy during my writing time just so nothing gets on my keyboard.


#2 Wrist and Back Support 🪑📝

I may only be 25 but my skeleton is 98 in dog years, so proper supports are a must have for writing or drawing sessions especially if I plan on doing it for a long period of time. I prefer a nice throw pillow and a good wrist rest as opposed to other means of support for sitting and typing for a long time. However, depending on if I'm writing by hand or typing I will use a wrist brace as well.

#3 Music 📻🎶

I won't do anything without music, and writing is no exception. I try to put my maladaptive daydreaming to good use by creating playlists that fit specific scenes or characters. Making playlists is actually apart of my character creation process because I feel like the songs I associate with them help me to visualize the type of person they are. I find that this has really improved my character creation process. However, beyond that, I like boss fight music because it has been statistically proven to help you focus. I really like listening to the Undertale boss fight songs on YouTube while I work personally, but I've listened to a few others with the same success.


#4 Notebooks 📒🖊

A good notebook is a must for writing, and I have taken to keeping a small one as well as a small sketchbook in my purse for when I'm on the go. You never know when an idea might strike you, or when a place you visit might inspire you so I find that it helps to be prepared. I also like to take pictures of places or things that I get an idea from to reflect on later which leads me into my next point.


#5 References 🖼 🏰

Just like with drawing, having references while you're writing will not only help you describe places or things to your readers but it will also aid with keeping your descriptions consistent. I keep several different reference tools on hand, just so that I have that information in both a physical and a digital format.


#6 Campfire 🔥🖊

Campfire is a writing software that you will hear me talking about a LOT. Not because I am paid or otherwise incentivized to talk highly of it but because I genuinely enjoy it. Not only can I add photos, write my story, and make notes it allows for full customization of your creative writing process. It has themes to help you set the mood for your writing space, as well as several organization features. The best part is that Campfire has both a free and a paid version, and you can customize what you pay for while still having access to free versions of what you don't in case you want to try the other features before buying them.


#7 Behind the Name/ Surname 🏷📝

I write a lot of historically based pieces, and because of this I want to make sure that my characters are named accurately for the time periods that my story takes place in. Behind the Name and Behind the Surname provide a wealth of different names, regions, and information on names from different eras and time periods. This has been helpful in naming or in some cases renaming characters. As much as I hate to say it my go - to program has been giving me what feels like AI generated slop when I try to get some ideas for names. Though coming up with your own ideas is always great, I like having a jumping off point and this is a great way to get that going.


#8 Vulgarlang 🎙🗣

If you need a fictional language in a pinch, I suggest using Vulgarlang. This coupled with Campfire's Language feature allows you to create a quick reference dictionary for your fictional world. Vulgarlang even offers a translator that you can use to translate words into your fictional languages.


Closing

That's all that I have for you guys right now, I do apologize that this is coming to you a day late I have been battling an allergy-induced ear infection and I slept pretty much all day yesterday. That being said, what are your guys' writing must haves? Let me know in the comments! If you want to see more from me feel free to click the link below where you can find my other socials. Y'all take care, and thanks for stopping by! 

🍒 Check Out What Else I've Been Up To 🍒 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Girl, Listen: Financial Literacy Tips

Bookmarked: Thirteen Storeys by Jonathan Sims

Chatterbox: Are Trends Killing Originality? (02/27/2026 - 03/05/2026)