Bookmarked: Jade City by Fonda Lee
Hey y'all let's see what's up today! This was one of the three books that was on my chopping block for the month of February that I just unfortunately did not finish, but I was able to get it finished this

I want to start this by saying as I started reading this novel I felt like there was a chance I was missing some context, so I did a quick Google search of the author and found her website where I discovered there were, indeed, some more books in this saga I just happened to get the first 3.
Content Warnings: SMUT, Alcoholism, Attempted Theft, Drugging, Assault, Body Modifications, Blood, Mentions of Execution, Mafia-Like Dynamics, Smoking, Mentions of War, Mentions of Death, Racism, High Familial Expectations, Strong Language, Homosexuality, Fights, Mild Gore, Biker Gangs, Brothels, Violence, Religion, Drug Use, Drowning, War
Summary
Jade is a powerful source of magic on the island of Kekon. It has brought along a line of Green Bone warriors who use the jade to enhance their abilities and protect their island. Because of its value, jade is highly sought after. It's bought, traded, stolen, and some people are even willing to die for it.
Traditions of the past fade as the Green Bone families like the Kauls take a more modern, mafia-like approach to defending the island as well as the bustling jade market. They punish thieves, keep an eye out for invaders, and ensure those that wield jade are worthy of its abilities.
When a new drug emerges that allows anyone to wield jade whether they are Green Bones or not, the tension between the Kauls and their rivals the Ayts turns to full on violence. Because of the power and influence of the clan, everything is riding on the outcome of this clan war, including the fate of the island.
Review
I really enjoyed the fantasy cyberpunky feel of this novel. However, I do wish it were more clear what specific Asian cultures inspired this world. The importance of jade immediately drew my mind to Chinese culture and the importance that jade has held for Chinese citizens for generations. However, the island of Kekon looks like Japan, and the names of some cities like Janloon almost feel Korean to me? Despite not getting a clear picture of where Ms. Lee took her inspiration, I loved that she included maps in the book on the beginning pages, I would have really liked a little glossary for the character names because I think they could be difficult for some folks out there.
This novel really just pushes you in head first with an action packed first chapter, that's something that I will always love especially in fantasy novels. However, Ms. Lee gives plenty of descriptions of her characters and the settings that make you feel like you aren't missing anything at all. Some people may find that it makes the book too long, and I'll agree it does add some length; but part of the fantasy genre in and of itself is to bring you into another universe and make you feel like you're somewhere else for a little bit. I find that this really helped me to picture what was going on and it let me visualize what was happening in my mind.
Chapter 18 specifically was a great introduction to the importance of jade in this story and provides some depth to the religious beliefs of the world. Because of this bit of significance, I do wish it were used more like a prologue or even a first chapter. It was rather short and just felt out of place being in the middle of the book like it was.
Closing
Overall I really liked this book, I'm excited to finish the series and I am also really glad that I was able to get this out of the way before the end of March, though this post didn't get posted in time. This book was massive and I honestly didn't have many hopes of finishing it but several all nighters later and here we are. As soon as I finish the rest of the series I will gladly share them with you, but my next book to tackle is The Starving Saints which I started in February and did not finish. This will be the last Bookmarked for March so stay tuned! If you want to see more from me feel free to click the link below where you can find my other socials. Y'all take care, and thanks for stopping by!

Comments
Post a Comment