Pretty Sketchy: My Favorite Art Supplies

 

Hey y'all let's see what's up today! I have been drawing since I was a little kid, about 5 or so, and after I got more serious about it in my teens I began branching off into other art supplies that were better suited for my needs. I'm legally blind, and I have HEDS or Hypermobile Ehlers Danlos Syndrome which affects my joints. Because of this I have essentially either experimented or customized my art supplies to best suit my needs. This post is going to be just a short list, with as many links as I can find, for my favorite art supplies. Please note that I do not get paid for promoting these products, these are based purely on my experiences using them. These are purely based on my preferences and if you have any products you'd like to recommend feel free to link them in the comments!


Pencils and Pens

I am super picky when it comes to pencils and pens on a good day, however when I also have to take into account that it has to be something I can comfortably hold for a long period of time that adds some additional complications. However, these are my personal picks for the best pencils and pens out there. I try to keep things affordable because I restock my art supplies about once every 6 months and that can get costly if you aren't careful.

🖉 Sumo Grip: I have these in just about every size I can get my hands on and they're all fantastic, the wide barrels really help with not straining my hands and joints so that adds to the appeal of them for me. They are also pretty cost efficient for a nice set of pencils and I love their erasers!

🖉 Pentel Twist: These Pencils are old but gold to me, they were some of the first super nice pencils that I ever used and I still like them now even though Sumo has kind of stolen me away a little bit.

🖋 Sharpie S Gel: I love the Sharpie S-Gel pens for line art, though people advise against using gel pens period for line art. However, I found that doing my linework last will help with smudging. I also prefer a 0.5mm pen or a 0.2 mm if I can get my hands on them so the fact these come in a 0.5 is really nice.

🖉Colored Pencil Leads: An honorable mention here, I love using colored pencil lead for sketching and I really like this kind I don't personally care if they're considered good quality because I just use them for base sketches for the most part I just started buying these because I was tired of colored pencils taking up real estate in my supply drawers.  


Erasers

    As funny as it sounds, I don't go out of my way to buy special erasers for my artistic endeavors, but I do like having a few on hand. I wasn't able to find THE current favorite eraser that I have right now, but I got as close as I could and included some others.

✏️Faber Castel Kneaded Eraser: Faber Castel has never done me wrong with any of their products, so naturally their kneaded eraser quickly became my favorite. I also love that it comes in a little case not many people who make kneaded erasers think to put them in a little box so that it doesn't get absolutely disgusting.

✏️Electric Eraser: Now, this is the one I had a hard time finding. This is the most similar to my favorite eraser, however mine is not electric. It did, however, come with attachments and extra eraser bits just like this one. This one just happens to be a little more advanced than mine.

✏️Easy Cleanup Erasers: These erasers are really cool in the sense that they aren't quite soft enough to be a kneaded eraser, however they aren't like your typical eraser. These will essentially roll up and create a little ball for easy clean up which I appreciate as someone who readjusts their work a lot.


Markers

Now onto the fun stuff: Markers! First and foremost all of these will be alcohol markers because those are what I prefer as they are easy to blend if you have rubbing alcohol in your house (which, honestly I would suggest especially if you're an artist)

🖍 Caliart Markers: These markers have a really strong odor, however aside from that they last forever, they're super pigmented and they also blend really seamlessly together. I also like that they have a chisel tip and a fine tip, as I'm not personally a fan of brush tip markers.

🖍 Kingart Markers: I found these markers in person, so they were not as expensive as they are on their Amazon listing, but I found that these were a similar quality to the Caliart markers and I liked the shade ranges. Caliart leaned more toward cool tones and Kingart leaned more toward warm tones so they kind of evened out!


Paper and Tape

I'm grouping these together for the simple fact that I use them at the same time almost always so it just makes sense for these to be together for me.

📝 Cardstock: I generally keep cardstock in a few different sizes, but I try not to get the colorful kind just because it severely alters the way the markers show up.

📝Washi Tape: Again, I don't really go for anything special. I prefer washi tape over artist's tape because it doesn't have as much adhesive on it so I can peel it off a little easier. This helps to keep everything neat and tidy, however it won't stop the ink from your markers bleeding through if you go over the edge of the tape the way that traditional artist's tape will.


Closing

That's all that I have for you guys on this one, I will be starting my 100 Heads Challenge on the 6th and posting results on the 16th. If you want to see more from me feel free to click the link below where you can find my other socials. Y'all take care, and thanks for stopping by! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Girl, Listen: Financial Literacy Tips

Bookmarked: Thirteen Storeys by Jonathan Sims

Chatterbox: Are Trends Killing Originality? (02/27/2026 - 03/05/2026)