Hey y'all let's see what's up today! As the title might suggest there is a lot to unpack in the horror scene this week with Funko dropping some new horror figures, and several horror movies taking their place among nominations for the Oscars. I'm going to discuss both of these topics this week, so this post is going to be a bit on the longer side. This is my first horror news piece so stick with me and please feel free to leave suggestions on how I can improve future posts like this in the comments!
Horror at the Oscars
There were 3 horror films that were nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars this year Sinners, Frankenstein, and Bugonia. I haven't seen Sinners or Bugonia however I have heard nothing but raving reviews about the both of them. Because I can't speak on either of the other films, I'm not going to go too in depth on Frankenstein either, however I do hope that it wins.
Guillermo del Toro's adaptation of Frankenstein is the best adaptation of the novel that I've seen to date. The original staring Boris Karloff is a classic, however it strays pretty far from the source material so seeing the Creature or Adam as he's known by fans in such a different light was really refreshing.
New Funko Releases
We also got some new horror funko pop teasers this week. I personally will 100% be going after the Universal Monsters ones. I'm going to give a few thoughts about each of these please keep in mind this is just my opinion and I am also not sponsored so I'm not being paid for any of this, this is just my raw opinion as someone who is also seeing these up close for the first time.
1: Patchwork Frankenstein
I love the little Voodoo doll aesthetic on this series but I especially love the detailing on his face. This is how I personally picture this character and I think its just very fitting for him.
2: Patchwork Bride
Just like with Frankenstein I adore the detailing on her face and especially on her hair with the two different textures between the white and black sections I think that was very clever.
3: Patchwork Dracula
I absolutely ADORE the bat shaped houndstooth pattern on his cape and I think that's really clever. I also really like the mix matched eyes it almost feels like he's trying to hypnotize us.
4: Patchwork Invisible Man
This Patchwork design is arguably my least favorite of the bunch, I love his color pallet and how he's pulling away the bandages on his hand but this feels like such a hard character to convey this concept with because he's wrapped in bandages.
5: Anime Frankenstein
I love the design on this as well as the pose and the little bandage details but his hair molding kind of reminds me of Wolverine?
6: Anime Bride
This is my favorite of the anime designs hands down, I mean she actually looks like a Bride, I love the blueish gray look to her as well because I feel like it really compliments the other characters in this set.
7: Anime Dracula
I like this version of Dracula here, but I'm not a fan of the white suit jacket it just kind of throws off the rest of the figure for me personally.
8: Anime Invisible Man
I don't know why I love this version of the Invisible Man so much, I think he just looks so silly and fun which is a complete opposite to his actual character. I also like that they chose the version of him that's partially mutated so there's a little bit more to the figure.
9: Doodles Jason
I'm honestly not a fan of the Doodles pops. However, Jason is one of the better done figures I think (though I am a little biased). I like the almost crumpled paper texture that the figure has which is really cool.
10: Doodles Jisgaw
I've never really gotten into the SAW franchise so this figure isn't one that I would be personally looking to get, however I think he looks pretty well put together, I especially love his little tricycle.
11: Doodles Art the Clown
As much as I love Art, this figure is just not it. I like the sunglasses detail but I think that they crowd his face a bit too much in this format. It's a very busy figure.
12: Doodles Sam
Sam's figure is really cute, it almost reminds me of Charlie Brown in a way and I really like the look of it. However, much like Art I think it's just a bit too busy.
13: Burntrap
Funko never misses on their FNAF figures. I really love the detailing on Burntrap here, especially the bits of bone on his fingers peeking out.
14: The Mimic
I love that the Mimic is getting some recognition. I think this figure is well detailed, it's creepy, he's just perfect.
13: The Mimic Disguised
This figure is really busy, however I love how well detailed it is. I love the little Mimic eyes peeking out the way the suit is just falling apart around him, it's just interesting to look at.
Funko also had a number of Silent Hill, Fallout, and Bioshock figures they're releasing. I didn't include them simply because this post is already kind of long and I didn't want to make it any longer.
Closing
Thats all I have for you guys right now, would you like to see any of these films win an Oscar? Or perhaps add some of these pops to your shelf? Let me know down in the comments. If you want to see more from me feel free to click the link below where you can find my other socials. Y'all take care, and thanks for stopping by!
Comments
Post a Comment